Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A First for Everything

In becoming a parent, there are a lot of firsts…the first time you get to meet the baby, the first time you bath the baby, the first time you feed the baby, etc. This weekend was an extra special first. It was my first Mother’s Day.

I never really appreciated Mother’s Day before, because it was for moms and not a holiday for me…AND by default, because it wasn’t a holiday for me, I wasn’t a mom and since I wasn’t a mom, I really had NO idea as to all the love, patience, energy, sacrifice (the list goes on) that goes into being a mom, hence there was no appreciation for the role.

Now I appreciate it because it is a holiday for moms and I now realize how much it took generations of mothers to get to me. It’s been a lot of hard work, no doubt! A lot of that toil I never understood until I had a baby entrusted to my care. So to all of my foremothers, thank you, I think you did a pretty good job.

In a narcissistic sense I do have to admit that I do like that there is another holiday for me. This one is when my skills, care and nurturing that go into my mothering of Gwyneth get noticed by others, and even by some, admired. It’s not just good for that either, it’s apparently also a “ticket” to go out to eat at the restaurant of my choice in my honor. I’ll take it.

No comments: