Sunday, February 25, 2007

Saturday Morning Memories

It doesn't seem like it was that long ago when I was part of some special Saturday morning moments. As youngsters, my brother and sister and I would wake up on Saturday mornings and knock on my parents' bedroom door. They'd usually be up and reading the paper or a book and we'd crawl into bed with them and goof around...eventually the dog would be invited on the bed as well. When I was really little and had this Saturday morning time, Mom would do things like cut my fingernails. I'd also beg for a back scratch. My sister would play with and braid my hair. There was even the time when my sister and I had just been treated for nits and Mom would have the pleasure of "cleaning" our hair. I'm sure it was a yucky job, but to me it a head massage that almost made the nits worth it. All in all, we just had fun and enjoyed each other's company. Usually in the middle of it, after some begging, Dad would steal away and make pancakes from scratch, and of course in special shapes and letters.

Now it's Wes' and my turn to create Saturday morning memories and keep a tradition. This weekend we got to cozy up in bed with the snow blustering outside. All five of us (two adults, one baby, and two dogs) cuddling, just having fun, doing everything we could to steal smiles from Gwyneth. Wes even snuck away to make pancakes from my dad's recipe. Only in retrospect did I realize that we're walking in a tradition. We like that it's our turn.

No comments: