Wednesday, June 4, 2008

"Bed Training"

Well, the Patterson household is facing many changes, all of them largely revolving around the move to Belfast. With a little one in the picture, keeping the balance is especially tricky. We're trying to figure out what the best way to approach such a move is - would it be better to continue nursing until after our arrival, or stop now, would it be better to potty train her now, or later, would it be better to get her used to sleeping in a bed now since she will soon be crib-less in 3 weeks and without a pack n' play shortly after, or do we wing it? Nothing seems easy about these transitions with a toddler in everyday life, but it all seems much more complicated when making a transatlantic move.

Today we decided to try giving up the crib and getting her used to the mattress on the floor, which means that she has a newfound freedom when she's supposed to be sleeping. Right before her nap, I took down her crib, vacuumed the floor, and set the mattress in the empty space. Gwyneth thought it was all exciting. She had no problem when I put her into her new boundary-less bed for her nap time. However, the problem was in keeping her there. We had a battle of the wills for the first 13 minutes. I'd listen for her movements outside the door, she'd crawl off the mattress and I'd jump the gate and silently, but sternly put her back in bed. At first she thought it was quite a fun game, then she started to comprehend that I meant business. After a few more test escapes, she flew her white flag and succummed. I sat outside her door and waited for a few minutes of no sound or movement, and by 12:20, she was fast asleep! Success! Now I'm not sure how sleeping through the night will go, but I'm sure we'll go through this again tonight...and here's to hoping. In the meantime, we're going to practice tucking in her stuffed animals, saying "nightie-night" and giving them the good-night kiss.

Oh, other news on the front. Gwyneth got her first blood-sucking parasite! Yesterday, I pulled off a fat, disgusting wood tick. I generally have a strong stomach and have no problem with the standard "gross out" situations or conversations, but I felt like I could easily throw up at the sight of the creature. Ick. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this may not be the last experience of that type. Someday, she'll probably come home from school with head lice and infect us all!

No comments: